1 - Working at the VUB
Are you our new Head of Applications who enjoys a broad position and is looking forward to a next step in your career?
VUB is always looking for new talent to grow with!
For almost 50 years, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel has stood for freedom, equality and connectedness. These values are strongly present on our campuses, in our students as well as our staff. At the VUB, you’ll find a diverse collection of personalities: pure innovators and especially people who are 100% their authentic selves. With about 3.500 employees, we are the largest Flemish-speaking employer in Brussels, an international city with which we are all too happy to be connected, and around which our four campuses are located. Moreover, VUB is a member of EUTOPIA, an alliance of 10 like-minded European universities, all ready to reinvent themselves.
The university's general strategic plan defines ICT as a "key enabler" for education and research. Aware of the challenges ahead, the VUB places ICT and the modernisation of its applications (Student Administration, Research Administration, Finance, HR, etc.) high on its agenda. For example, it invested in the Nexus data centre, which will house the new Flemish Tier-1 supercomputer.
The 'Head of Applications' plays a crucial role in the modernisation of applications and is given the mandate to organise the department accordingly.
2 - Position Description
The ICT Department has a total of about 80 employees and is divided into five departments: Operations & Infrastructure, Service Centre, Scientific Data & Compute, Applications and Office of the CIO.
For the department responsible for the development, maintenance and implementation of applications, we are looking for a 'Head of Applications'. The department consists of about 25 employees (including developers, analysts, testers, product managers and a software architect) divided over various teams.
You report to the CIO and are part of the management team of the ICT organisation.
In this role, you and your direct reports are responsible for the planning, analysis, development, implementation and management of central IT solutions, crucial for the daily operation of 4,000 employees and 20,000 students. The data platform and integration landscape will also be managed in your department.
We are talking about applications within the domain of education (student administration and learning environment), research, but equally applications used within HR, Finance, Facility management, communication, fall within your scope.
A quick look at your work package
- You are an inspiring manager with an eye for growth and development of your teams, which are diverse in scope and profiles
- You watch over delivery and guarantee performance, availability and security of the applications
- You focus on strong stakeholder management and create a broadly supported and well-developed application and project portfolio
- You draw the outlines for a department in change and monitor the achievement of long-term objectives
- You also take care of the annual budget of the department, a personnel plan and a strategic multi-year plan
- You enjoy managing budgets and negotiating with external partners
- As a member of the IT management team, you help determine the policy of the ICT Department
For this position, Brussels Humanities, Sciences & Engineering Campus (Ixelles) will be your home base, in combination with working from home.
3 - Profile
What do we expect from you?
- You have a master's degree (preferably in IT, computer science or a related field) or you have an equivalent profile through experience
- You have at least 10 years of professional experience within the ICT sector in application development and/or management
- You have extensive experience as a 'people manager' and you enjoy inspiring and motivating teams. In addition, you set clear goals, follow priorities and can work project-based
- Experience with in-house development and/or ERP systems is a must, as is an interest in integration and automation
- You follow the latest technological developments, not only in your domain, and thus maintain a solid all-round IT base
- You have hands-on experience with the Agile methodology
- You have demonstrable experience with change processes; a department in transformation does not scare you
- You are a team player with organizational skills
- You have strong oral and written communication skills (NL/ENG)
- Affinity with higher education is an asset
VUB wants to be a reflection of society where everyone's talent is valued, regardless of gender, sex, age, religion, skin colour, migration background, disability and neurodiversity.
4 - Offer
Are you going to be our new colleague? You’ll be offered a full-time contract at a salary linked to Grade 10 (min. € 4.823 - max. € 7.341 ) or Grade 11 (min. € 5.219 - max. € 8.425), depending on your competences and previous relevant work experience.
At the VUB we guarantee an open, involved and diverse workplace, where we offer you opportunities to (further) expand your career. In addition, you will enjoy benefits such as:
- Full reimbursement of public transport and/or a bicycle allowance;
- Free hospitalization and very attractive group insurance with guaranteed income;
- Working from home, a teleworking allowance of 50 euros per month, the tools to be able to work from home and be well rested;
- Tasty meals in our campus restaurants at an attractive rate;
- Advantageous sports and subscription, a range of discounts via Benefits@Work (in all kinds of shops, on flights, in petrol stations, amusement parks...) and Eco vouchers;
- Daycare on campus, discount on holiday camps;
- The space to shape your job content and continuously learn through our VUB learning platforms;
- An open and family friendly working environment with attention to your work-life balance, an exceptional leave scheme with 35 days of leave, office closure between Christmas and New Year and 3 extra days of leave
- And finally: friendly colleagues with a healthy drive and a good sense of humor
5 - Interested?
Does this position appeal to you? Then apply via jobs.vub.be
Our application process for this vacancy is as follows:
- Step 1: CV screening by one of our recruiters.
- Step 2: Comparative test you can work on at home.
- Step 3: A final interview.
Questions about the job? Contact our CIO Karin Voets at email@example.com
Questions about the selection procedure? Contact Annelies Jongert at firstname.lastname@example.org
Would you like to know what it's like to work at the VUB and would you like more info on EUTOPIA?
Then go to jobs.vub.be and find out all about our campuses, benefits, strategic goals and colleagues, among other things.
Also read on eutopia-university.eu if you want to know more about our European network of universities.