1 - Working at the VUB
Are you our Tech Lead who has a heart for education and is looking forward to the next step in your career?
VUB is always looking for new talent to grow with!
For almost 50 years, the Vrije Universiteit Brussel has stood for freedom, equality and connectedness. These values are strongly present on our campuses, in our students as well as our staff. At the VUB, you’ll find a diverse collection of personalities: pure innovators and especially people who are 100% their authentic selves. With about 3.500 employees, we are the largest Flemish-speaking employer in Brussels, an international city with which we are all too happy to be connected, and around which our four campuses are located.
In the university's overall strategic plan, ICT is defined as a "key enabler" for education and research. VUB is aware of the challenges it faces and therefore prioritizes ICT and the modernization of its applications (Student Administration, Research Administration, Finance, HR, etc.). These priorities are high on the agenda. For instance, the university has invested in the Nexus data center, which will house the new Flemish Tier-1 supercomputer.
VUB is currently seeking a 'Tech Lead Software Development' with both management and engineering skills to assist in the development and evolution of the portfolio of applications and embedded functionalities.
2 - Position Description
The ICT Directorate comprises a total of around 80 employees and is divided into five departments: Operations & Infrastructure, Service Center, Scientific Data & Compute, Applications, and Office of the CIO.
The Applications department is responsible for the development, maintenance, and implementation of applications and consists of approximately 25 employees, including developers, analysts, testers, product managers, and a software architect, distributed across different teams.
You are the manager for the team of developers, functioning in autonomous teams. You report to the Head of the Applications department.
The developers, along with architects, analysts, and testers, are responsible for the development and maintenance of various applications. We employ a collaborative approach where everyone is a member of the development team and is involved in different stages of the software development life cycle, such as analysis, architecture and design, programming, debugging, etc.
Together, we realize functionalities that add value for the various stakeholders of the university's core applications.
In the short term, you will master the software architecture of these core applications and set the direction for the developers. You help promote and support agile values and methods and have the courage to reduce technical debt. Additionally, you remain technically engaged as a backup when necessary.
Some of your tasks
- You are the point of contact for the developers and collaborate with them to address solutions and obstacles within an autonomous, agile environment. You also work with the infrastructure team.
- You develop best practices and ensure that these become standard procedures.
- You formulate a vision around development and the technologies used. You feel comfortable in various programming environments.
- In consultation with the architect, you define the framework for architecture.
- You are a true people manager, supporting and coaching your team regarding objectives, development, and career advancement.
- You also remain actively involved in technical work because, when necessary, you develop alongside other developers.
For this position, the Brussels Humanities, Sciences & Engineering Campus in Elsene will be your home base, combined with remote work.
3 - Profile
What we expect from you
- A Master's degree and a minimum of 3 years of experience in leading technical teams or the potential to lead a team.
- You possess a keen eye for detail and are familiar with ERP systems or have the competency to become acquainted with our student information system (PeopleSoft Campus Solutions).
- You are an expert in software development using standard languages and frameworks such as Java, Spring, Symfony, and Python.
- In addition, you have extensive knowledge of the operation of web applications and are familiar with Linux and Windows OS.
- With your knowledge of Agile methodology, you are capable of leading and inspiring a team to achieve common goals.
- You speak and write fluent Dutch and English, which is essential for effective communication with our team.
4 - Offer
Will you be our new colleague? Then we offer you a full-time contract of indefinite duration with a gross monthly salary linked to grade 8 (min. € 3865 - max. 5868), 9 (min. € 4,199 - max. 6,202), or grade 10 (min. € 4,544 - max. € 6,918) depending on your competencies and previous relevant work experience.
At the VUB we guarantee an open, involved and diverse workplace and we offer you opportunities to (further) expand your career. In addition, you will enjoy benefits such as:
- Maximum reimbursement of commuting by public transport and/or a bicycle allowance;
- A free hospitalization and very nice group insurance with guaranteed income;
- Working from home, a teleworking allowance of 50 euros per month, the tools to be able to work from home;
- Tasty meals in our campus restaurants at an attractive rate;
- Advantageous sports opportunities and subscription, a range of discounts via Benefits@Work (in all kinds of shops, on flights, in petrol stations, amusement parks...) and Eco vouchers;
- Daycare on campus, discount on holiday camps;
- The space to shape your job content and continuously learn through our VUB learning platforms;
- An open and family working environment with attention to your work-life balance, an exceptional leave scheme with 35 days of leave, closure between Christmas and New Year and 3 extra days of leave
- And finally: friendly colleagues with a healthy drive and a good sense of humor
5 - Interested?
Does this position appeal to you? Apply by visiting jobs.vub.be.
Our application process for this vacancy is structured as follows:
- Step 1: CV screening by one of our recruiters.
- Step 2: Comparative test that you can complete from home.
- Step 3: A final interview.
Questions about the job itself? Contact our CIO, Karin Voets, via email@example.com.
For inquiries regarding the selection process and/or the offer, contact Annelies Jongert via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in learning more about working at VUB and want information about EUTOPIA?
Visit jobs.vub.be and discover everything about our campuses, benefits, strategic goals, and colleagues.
Also, read further about eutopia-university.eu if you want to know more about our European network of universities.